BR #388 finally ready for paint

Image

10X eye loupe

After some deliberation I went back and added 500 odd bits to the top of the existing NBW which by the time I was part way done were more like plain washers. While not the best photo this shot through my mobile loupe arm shows some of the detail that was fixed and some work that still needs addressing. The little loupe arm really aids artifact checking, vital for model making in all scales. Due to my aversion to solvents I found it handy to do finish work on the NBWs right in the spraybooth. The arm was up to the task where my own eyesight fell well short.

The bolt/nut portion of the revised NBWs were made from .005″X.005″ strip cut from sheet and bobbed to length by eye. The little pieces were placed in location with a small paintbrush having loaded it with an appropriate amount of solvent. The washer was similarly wetted  with solvent. The resulting bond is actually pretty decent but just in case I decided to wipe the works with a small amount of solvent afterwards to ensure everything stayed in place.

A few of the NBWs were out of position by more than what was reasonable and in these cases I made new NBWs complete on a sheet of glass flooded with a small thin layer of solvent. Once the washer portion was dry I used the brush again to place the nut/bolt part in the middle. It takes some amount of practice but with a solvent licked No.11 blade the whole deal can be picked off the glass and placed on the model. Were I starting over (again!) I might have done all of them this way.

The little bit of strapping modelled was done with .002″ styrene. To get .002″ styrene you attack with a razor blade and scrape it down till it mics out and then stick sand it lightly to even things out. I cut it to width by eye with a scale ruler using the various ruler marks and my memory of scale sizes to get within range. Dipping the styrene in a small puddle of solvent and then brushing it lightly with a damp paint brush seems to do the trick. The process has a lot in common with decaling. A lot of folks seem to have trouble working with small amounts of styrene and solvent cements ( I use Testor’s in the glass bottle) but in most cases I get the feeling that the individuals in question tried it once or twice and went home. Like most things practice and forethought go a long way in achieving usable results. Try, make notes and try again. Most things are possible provided you don’t give up.

AH