Beginning of the end. I’m reminded that I bothered to paint tie plates on this section of main… The rocks do belong in the area (they surround a section house) but they’re really just a test for a future seawall.
Completely out of the blue this evening I decided to rip up the mainline on my depot module. It had been laid before I realised that I could make my own ties (both PC board and wood) and suffered accordingly. With my new system of 3/4 depth ties I no longer have to lay .015″ shims on plain track (a big time saver), nor do I find myself having to wait for an unpopular item to be shipped from a far off land (like Ontario or Alberta). Anyways, the old main was laid with scale depth ties that were a touch wide, which, when laid out to scale mainline spacing look a bit tight. Since they also ride high on shims they complicate module joins. By just getting rid of the old stuff and making my own ties I kill many birds with one stone. Commence labour!
And before: Looks like the morning after one of those parties that I never get invited to.
Here’s a scan of the P:160 specs taken from the Model Railway Study Group paper. The table on the left is to .354″ gauge and is uncorrected. On the right is my sketch for gauge making corrected to .353″ gauge. By reducing the gauge by 1 thousandth of an inch you have to alter the check gauge, between checks,and the back to back by a comparable amount. In checking my B2B gauge it appears I went with .332″. For a more complete look at the MRSG paper here is a link to the Scalefour Society historical page: http://www.scalefour.org/history/p4manual.html